Tuesday, January 18, 2011

We'll have none of that!

Today's schedule called for a 9 mile run with 10 * 100 meter strides at the end. But at some point last week, I tweaked my right knee a bit. It never hurts when I'm running, but it always feels a little unstable when I'm done, and sometimes it hurts if I twist it the wrong way. I decided running at top speed wasn't a great idea, so instead I agreed to meet Gabrielle for an "easy" 8-miler.

I was meeting her 1.3 miles away at the usual group get-together stop, and I figured I might as well jog in, giving myself an extra 2.6. I was running a little late, so I ended up doing 8:30 miles on my way into town. Then as Gabrielle and I started, we got into a conversation and didn't notice how fast we were going: 8:37, 8:00, 7:59, 8:07. So much for an "easy" run. It wasn't super fast, but it was faster than both of us were planning. At the end of last week I'd been running much slower, so it felt good to finally be cruising at a nice pace: 8:13, 8:19. As we headed back into town, I decided to pick up the pace a bit more, just to get a little speed work in. I told Gabrielle I'd see her back at the meeting spot and I reeled off a 7:30 split, and then a 7:00 pace for the final .38 miles into town. Then Gabrielle caught up with me and we finished the run with some legitimately slow 8:48 and 9:13 splits. A nice workout.

My knee still feels a little sore, but hopefully if I don't work it too hard this week I'll be back on track for next week.

Garmin

As promised, here's a summary of last week's workouts:

6 runs
43.01 miles
1021 feet elevation gain
204 feet average elevation gain

That's considerably lower than my goal of 52 miles, primarily due to the ice / travel. Elevation gain was also quite low; running with others who didn't want challenging runs contributed to that, as did the dreaded treadmill day. But I've already gotten a good start on this week, running a bit farther than the scheduled distance. Hopefully that will carry through the entire week.

No comments:

Post a Comment